The Tower Theatre is noted for being one of several suburban theater designs that S. Charles Lee devised to show film industry executives a new look in commercial movie theaters. It was profiled shortly after its completion in a lavishly illustrated article in Motion Picture Herald.
As Fresno’s first suburban cinema, The Tower Theatre became the dominant vertical landmark anchoring a loosely-knit collection of shops that had been developing into a lively shopping area since 1923. The theatre was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Anchored by the theatre, Fresno’s Tower District has seen a booming resurgence with many eclectic restaurants and clubs opening within a four mile radius.